The Magdalen and Lasher Charity General Grants Committee makes grants to:-
- Persons in need, hardship or distress
- Organisations dealing directly with need, hardship and distress for the residents of the Borough of Hastings.
Applicants must have lived in the Borough for a minimum of three years, and be resident at the time of application.
Normally grants to organisations will be for one-off specific projects and all grants awarded are to be paid within the year approved.
The Charity requires that other obvious sources of relief, e.g. social services, have been approached prior to submitting a grant application.
Applications by individuals will normally be subjected to some form of means testing and should normally be supported (‘Sponsored’) by one of the following agencies and preferably in circumstances where the agency is working with the applicant or has direct knowledge of the applicant:
- East Sussex County Council Social Services
- Hastings and Rother Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB 1066)
- Any school – for school uniforms and assistance towards educational visits
- Christians Against Poverty
- Brighton Housing Trust
The Charity does not provide Grants for the repayment of debts or loans; for legal fees, funeral expenses (other than the cost of attending a funeral); or for the purchase of vehicles. For a full list of exemptions, please see the Instructions for Completing Application Forms.
Community Groups and Organisations serving those in need in the Borough, please refer to the Guidelines which explain how to apply.